Blackburn United pulled off the shock of the tournament by dumping out holder Bolton United in the first round of matches.

This year’s Star Tissue UK Football Championships are being played at Witton Park 3G pitch and the Seniors Quarter-finals were full of action and drama.

Following the lifting of restrictions like many tournaments this summer the matches are being warmly welcomed by players and fans. An Under 21s and Vets Tournament is also being played. 

Here is our run down of Match day 1 and 2 for the Seniors.

Asian Image:

Prestwich Marauders 5 - Euro Garages 6

Sometimes you just don't want the match to ever end. This was like one those eighties middleweight boxing classics when both fighters storm out of the ring and look for a quick knockout.

A young Prestwich were competing in their very first tournament at senior level whilst EG were hoping to replicate their 2019 run to the final.

EG raced into a 3-0 lead and by-standers were already talking about their semi-final. Prestwich had other ideas and within 20 minutes had smashed in three goals to level things up. It was a comeback that was richly deserved and EG found themselves in real trouble.

The first half was to be surpassed by another rollercoaster of a second half. EG came out with real intent and got themselves back into a winning position with two more goals. And that was that. Or so we thought. Surely there wasn't another twist.

Back came Prestwich and fired in a penalty. Minutes later there they scrambled in a fifth to send their fans into wonderland. They could have then gone on to win this but EG would have the final laugh as they broke down the left and tapped home the winner. It was a fitting end to a pulsating game if you were an EG fan and heartbreak for the young Prestwich players. Prestwich were unlucky, having had more of the possession. Whatever you say about EG they still managed to score six despite playing below par.

Asian Image:

Blackburn 2 Bolton United 1

You would have thought Blackburn United were the reigning 2019 champs when this game got under way.

Blackburn began stronger and led within 20 minutes and could have gone in 2-0 up. During the second half they readied themselves for a Bolton onslaught but it never really came through a combination of poor decisions by Bolton and some great Blackburn defending. Bolton did eventually bring on their super subs and they did level things up. Game over we thought and Bolton would go on win this.

The game ground to a halt due to two poor challenges by a Bolton player that marred a decent game of football. Blackburn sensed victory and went on to win the match with a well worked team goal as the ninety minutes closed in.

The young Blackburn team deserved to win the tie in the end and showed some real grit in those final ten minutes. For Bolton it may well be time to restructure as they looked like a team a little past their best.

Asian Image:

Route One Rovers 7 Coppice United 1

Few clubs have made such an impact in their first game since Coppice themselves hit the scene in 2008.

Route One were a goal down and it did look like Coppice would grind out one of their famous victories.

Route One always looked dangerous and got two back in as many minutes to turn the game on it’s head – the first of which a fortunate free kick that went in off the post. But once they got ahead they were unlikely to let Coppice back into the game. A third before half-time settled them down and the second half saw the Bradford side really turn the screw. Mohammed Hasnain ended with a hat-trick and Zak Khan, two. Some frantic defending late on stopped the score line being a bigger embarrassment.

Route One looked very comfortable in possession and will take some beating.

Asian Image:

Crompton Academy 6 Paak United 1

The first half to this game was a lot closer than the score line would eventually suggest. Crompton went ahead through a beautifully struck free-kick. Although Crompton had more of the possession the equalizer was one of the best pieces of skills we saw over the weekend. A corner fell to a Paak player who deftly backheeled it into the back of the net.

Crompton though were soon back in front and once there did not allow Paak to settle. The Bolton side looked far more threatening going forward and were soon 4-1 up with still 20 minutes to go. A young Paak side performed admirably in the first half but this Crompton side mean business.