Sanath Jayasuriya has been banned from all cricket for two years after admitting breaching two counts of the International Cricket Council’s Anti-Corruption Code.

Jayasuriya, formerly Sri Lanka’s captain and chair of selectors, was accused of failing to co-operate with an investigation into corruption, and delaying or obstructing an investigation, after the ICC’s Anti-Corruption Unit issued a demand to examine his mobile phones.

Having admitted both breaches Jayasuriya, 49, has accepted a sanction of being suspended from all cricket-related activities for two years.

Alex Marshall, the general manager of the ACU, said in a statement: “This conviction under the Code demonstrates the importance of participants in cricket cooperating with investigations.

“Compelling participants to cooperate under the Code is a vital weapon in our efforts to rid our sport of corruptors. These rules are essential to maintain the integrity of our sport.”

Jayasuriya played 110 Test matches and 445 one-day internationals for Sri Lanka, and was part of their World Cup-winning side in 1996.

He also played for Somerset, Lancashire, Warwickshire and Worcestershire and retired in 2012 before becoming Sri Lanka chairman of selectors.

Sanath Jayasuriya
Sanath Jayasuriya has accepted a sanction of being suspended from all cricket-related activities for two years (Gareth Copley/PA)

The ICC said the conviction of Jayasuriya was part of a much broader investigation into corruption in Sri Lankan cricket.

The ACU recently held an amnesty resulting in 11 players and other participants coming forward with new information.

Marshall added: “The amnesty has worked very well and has delivered significant new and important intelligence. This new information has assisted a number of our ongoing investigations and has resulted in some new investigations getting under way.

“I am very grateful to those who participated in the amnesty and – as a result of the information shared – we now have a much clearer picture of the situation in Sri Lanka and our investigations are continuing.”