A fugitive taxi driver who has spent 11 years on the run from police after admitting causing the death of a man is to be sentenced after being rearrested on returning to the UK earlier this year.

Naeem Imran Rashid, formerly of Newstead Grove, Arboretum, will appear at Nottingham Crown Court to be sentenced for causing death by dangerous driving.

Rashid, 34, was arrested in June 2000 following a crash near Wollaton Park, when his Peugeot 405 hit a Rover.

The Rover’s front seat passenger, Nadeep Singh Walia, a student at Leicester University from London, was killed and six other people injured.

Rashid was found to be over the drink-drive limit, Nottinghamshire Police said.

He pleaded guilty to the charges in April 2001, but fled the country before he was due to be sentenced the following August.

He has spent the last ten years living in Pakistan with family, Nottinghamshire Police said.

Rashid was re-arrested in April this year at Manchester Airport after Nottinghamshire Police worked with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, the British High Commission in Islamabad, the Crown Prosecution Service and Rashid’s family to bring him back to the UK to be sentenced.

He will appear at Nottingham Crown Court on Wednesday.

Retired DI Stuart Kinton, who has dealt with the case since Rashid’s arrest in 2000, said: “This has been a long time coming for both the victim’s family and the officers involved in the case.

”Over the last 11 years Naeem Imran Rashid has got married, raised children and basically lived the life of a free man, while back in England the Walia family were serving his sentence for him, feeling the consequences of his actions and laden with the knowledge that he was still at large.

”Rashid’s sentencing tomorrow hopefully marks the last rung on the ladder of the British justice system, and the point at which he will finally start paying for his crime.

”Hopefully this will bring some closure for the family, but I can only imagine the further untold damage done by Rashid’s 11-year absence.”