TWO men have pleaded guilty to using racist verbal abuse towards pro-Palestine protesters on Armistice Day.

Ian Beim, 57, and Kevin Sweeney, 61, both admitted racially aggravated public order offences against members of the public at London’s Waterloo station on November 11 following a pro-Palestine sit-in demonstration.

Both men spoke only to enter their pleas, confirm their names, dates of birth and addresses in a hearing at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Monday.

A verbal altercation broke out between Beim, Sweeney and the protesters shortly after a sit-in at the station had been dispersed around 5.30pm, the court was told.

Beim, of Surbiton, south-west London, and Sweeney, of West Molesey, Surrey, were heard shouting abuse and recorded on phones belonging to several of the demonstrators.

Sweeney approached one man taking a video and said “Yeah, you terrorist c***”, to which Beim added “Yeah, go on, keep going.”

Both men then walked towards another small group of protesters, where Beim stumbled into an activist who was recording after he was pushed by Sweeney.

They then boarded a train where they continued to use abusive language towards members of the public, including calling them “terrorists” and “bombers”.

READ MORE: Glasgow Zara closes as pro-Palestine protesters target retailer

Representing Sweeney, Tobias Smith said the charges were “not the most substantial disturbance we have seen” towards pro-Palestine protesters, and constituted “a bit of shouting”.

Smith said his client had lost his job as a result of the case.

Representing Beim, Tony Jacobs described his client’s behaviour as “disgraceful” and “atrocious”, but told the court: “We do not believe people who go on marches shouting ‘From the river to the sea’ are that timid.”

Both Smith and Jacobs asked the court to consider a financial penalty as punishment for the offences.

Chairwoman of the bench Emily Fergus said the court would be ordering reports from probation on the case, and granted Beim and Sweeney unconditional bail.

The pair will return to Westminster Magistrates’ Court on January 15 next year for sentencing.