Three men have been sentenced to a total of 60 years’ imprisonment in connection with the death of a Leicester man.

At the city’s crown court, Renaldo Baptiste, 35, was jailed for life with a minimum of 25 years after being convicted of Anand Parmar’s murder last month. Twenty-three-year-old Jeffery Carew, who was also convicted of murder, was sentenced to life with a minimum of 23 years.

Jurrat Khan, 26, was convicted of manslaughter following the trial. He was sentenced to 12 years – and will have a three-year extended period on licence.

Mr Parmar was found seriously injured in the boot of a red Vauxhall Astra in the early hours of 12 April 2021 after officers attempted to stop it.

Khan – of Wakerley Road in Leicester – was arrested nearby. Mr Parmar had suffered serious head and chest injuries and was taken to the Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham. However, he died later that morning.

An investigation led by the East Midlands Special Operations Unit (EMSOU) major crime team established that Baptiste and Carew had been involved in his death.

A woman who was with Mr Parmar at the time he was attacked was also hit by a glass bottle thrown by Carew.

Prior to the trial, Baptiste and Carew – both of Marsh Close in Leicester - pleaded guilty to possession of a class A drug with intent to supply, while Carew also pleaded guilty of one count of common assault, which related to the woman being hit with a glass bottle. The sentences for both offences will run concurrently to those given for murder.

Asian Image:

(Leicestershire Police)

Following the sentencing Anand Parmar’s family said: "Anand was the glue that held our family together.

“He was a loving, son, dad, grandad and brother. He had a big personality that would fill the room with laughter and love.

“Regardless of any issues which arose, he was able to put everyone else first and would find forgiveness, giving the best advice he could.

“When we were told what had happened, our world was shaken. The call we received from police is one that no family should ever have to receive. We would’ve done whatever we could to save him. Knowing what happened to him – and knowing he was completely unaware of what was going to happen – remains difficult to comprehend.

"We’re heartbroken by the fact we were unable to give him one last hug and tell him how much we loved him. It’s a pain that all of us continue to feel almost a year on.

“He was only 47. Since his death, his granddaughter – who he’ll never know – has been born. His daughter has graduated from university, which is something he longed to see.

"Those sorts of special occasions should’ve been fun, but instead were clouded by our hurt. We’ll always think of him and the pain of knowing we’ll never see his smile again is one that’ll continue.

“He was a part of us that we’ll never get back and it’s altered our lives forever. We lost a piece of our heart which will never be filled.

“Sitting in court listening to those who cruelly took his life from us try and defend their actions has been particularly tough. It’s difficult to put into words how we feel, but what we’ve heard will haunt us for the rest of our lives.”

Detective Chief Inspector Tony Yarwood, the senior investigating officer, said: “First and foremost, I would like to offer my sincere condolences to Mr Parmar’s family. While the sentences handed out today will not bring him back, I hope they feel that justice has been done.

“I would like to thank my colleagues from across the force and region for their hard work to ensure these three men are now serving significant time in prison for the consequences of their actions.

“I am also grateful to the prosecution counsel – James House QC and Daren Samat – for their work which helped secure today’s outcome.

“I hope the public can take some reassurance from the fact three very dangerous individuals have been jailed and cannot cause further harm to our communities.”