A DRUNK who landed in a vat of curry sauce when he climbed into the yard of a chip shop also landed himself in custody.

Blackburn magistrates heard when police arrived at the Chinese takeaway in Accrington Farakh Khalid was wearing just a pair of shorts and his body was covered in curry.

He was eventually arrested for being drunk and disorderly which put him in breach of a suspended prison sentence.

Khalid was given the 12-week suspended sentence in June after admitting to assaulting a police officer, damaging a stair banister belonging to Nighit Quershi.

Khalid, 31, of Whalley Road, Accrington, pleaded guilty to being drunk and disorderly in York Street on July 16.

He was given a conditional discharge for the offence but jailed for 10 weeks for being in breach of the suspended sentence order.

The magistrates heard it was the second breach since the order was made in June but it had not been activated on the first occasion.

The first breach was on June 22 when he caused a disturbance at a mosque in Accrington by turning up drunk and refusing to remove his shoes.

Blackburn magistrates were told on that occasion Khalid had been ushered out by worshippers who were upset by his behaviour.

Prosecuting his latest breach, Catherine Allan said Khalid had climbed over the back yard wall of the York Street chip shop and in doing so had knocked over a vat of curry sauce.

"When police arrived he was wearing just a pair of shorts and was covered head to toe in curry sauce," said Miss Allan.

"He was clearly drunk and became abusive."

Neil Howard, defending, said his client realised he had put himself in a precarious position.

"He went to the takeaway to talk to friends but they took umbrage at his level of intoxication and his behaviour and called the police," said Mr Howard.

Khalid appeared before the courts in January after being drunk and disorderly at the Mercure Dunkenhalgh Hotel and Spa, Clayton-le-Moors.

On that occasion he tried to book a room because he couldn't go home as he was drunk. He only had £50 and the room was £80. Staff had to call police when he became abusive and refused to leave.