A TEENAGE boy was left with a broken jaw after he was attacked by a large group of youths while playing football.

His older brother Amin Patel, who was also injured in the crossfire, described the brawl at Hulton Lane Playing Fields as “traumatising.”

The Bolton News understands that eight children were injured in the affray at about 8pm on Saturday. Greater Manchester Police are investigating.

Two mothers described the attack as a racially aggravated assault, though the police have not confirmed that they are treating it as a hate crime.

Amin, aged 15, said: “As we were playing football about 30 kids came up to my brother. A few of them started hitting him everywhere — in his stomach, his jaw, everywhere. I went to pull my brother away and they started hitting me. I curled up in a ball. They started hitting my sister who is 10. Others were hit as well. My jaw has been dislocated and I can’t move the back of my neck. I’m still traumatised by the experience. We are all scared to go out.

"I just can’t believe this is happening in Bolton. We are all humans at the end of the day. They were making racist slurs. I thought as a society we had moved passed that.”

His mother Assana Patel, of Wyndham Avenue, added: "A large group just attacked our children. It is shocking. The kids are really scared.

"My son has two cracks in his jaw. He is in immense pain."

The police were called to the playing fields and the fight was broken up. A number of people attended the police station to give statements.

Several children were taken to Royal Bolton Hospital to be checked over.

Parent Shereen Patel said her nine-year-old son Zain was also injured. She added that two teenagers "tried to provoke her" and one carried a knife.

The 36-year-old said: "Our children play at this park. We are very concerned for their safety.

"All it takes is for someone to go full throttle with a weapon in a moment like this and that is it, you have lost a life. There needs to be tighter regulations. Some real punishments need to be handed out."

A 16-year-old boy was arrested but has since been released on conditional bail pending further enquiries. No one has been charged.