An 18-year-old woman has been arrested in relation to the fatal stabbing of a young father who was trying to stop a fight outside a London bar.

Father-of-two Zakaria Bukar Sharif-Ali, 26, was trying to diffuse a row outside Rolling Stock bar in Shoreditch when he was stabbed at about 6.30am on Saturday.

A woman, 18, was arrested on Thursday on suspicion of assisting an offender, the Met said.

She remains in custody at a north London police station.

Mr Sharif-Ali, who had a wife, four-year-old son and two-year-old daughter, died of a stab wound to the abdomen, a post-mortem examination found.

No other arrests have been made and detectives continue to search for two male suspects.

One is a man in his 20s, who is about 5ft 10in, of Mediterranean appearance with a stocky build, olive skin and short, dark hair.

The other is a white man, about 6ft and heavily built, with fair-ginger hair and a fluffy beard.

A crowdfunding page has been set up to support Mr Sharif-Ali's family and has so far raised more than £16,000.

"His character and personality made an impression on everyone he met," a message on the page, set up by friend Zakariya Yahiaoui, said.

"His genuine personality, sense of humour and desire to help and befriend others touched everyone who knew him.

"This fundraiser is to help Zakaria's young children and wife in the bereavement of their father and husband. His family are reeling from this terrible shock."

Detectives believe many revellers would have witnessed the stabbing and have urged them to speak up.

"This is a busy and popular area of London. I know that there are people who witnessed the incident or have information concerning the identity of the suspects," Detective Inspector Rita Tierney said.

"My officers are currently reviewing CCTV and forensic inquiries are under way, but we need help from the public to fill in the gaps - what was the sequence of events that began with a night out and ended in Zakaria's tragic death?"

The Met said a dispute in the bar may have spilled into the street when the venue closed at about 6am, before the stabbing occurred.

London's Air Ambulance attended and Mr Ali was rushed to hospital but he died about two hours later, police said.

Witnesses should call the police on 020 8345 3865 or 101.

By Rick Goodman