Few surprises but a whole load of controversy in the first round of the AMT Lawyers Football Championships over the weekend.

AFC Preston had booked their third semi-final in a row with a 2-1 victory against Euro Garages a week earlier. Trailing to a great header from the longest serving player in these tournaments, Kalim Hafeji they hit back twice in the second half.

A goal straight after the half-time break and then a wonderful half-volley from 30 yards from Talha Patel proved to be enough in the end.

Blackburn United went ahead against underdogs Fishwick Rangers. They should have scored again in the first half but Fishwick repeated their exploits from the play-offs. They got themselves back on level terms before hitting two more on the break to book their spot in the semi's.

The young side are certainly heads in this tournament.

2017 Champions did not look particularly convincing in their match against Bolton Nomads until they went ahead. A goal later it looked like things would follow a familiar pattern. Nomads did though put up a fight and managed to get a penalty with still half hour. They missed it and seconds later Halifax went up the other end and made it three.

The game ended with Halifax hitting a two more and sending out a clear message that they were looking to make it a three championship wins in a row.

In the big final quarter-final game Bolton United began the stronger and should have gone ahead mid-way through the first half but couldn’t find a way past the Naveed who was in inspiring form throughout the evening.

This was a game of few chances with two good sides going head-to-head for the first time in two seasons.

Bolton had not one, but two good penalty shouts turned down. The second of which would may have certainly led to extra-time. Coppice to their credit though kept going and it was going to take something special to break the deadlock and it came in the form of a stunning strike from Stafford 35 yards worthy of winning any match.

Despite the penalty shouts though Bolton were guilty of missing some good opportunities after carving Coppice open. Coppice had keeper Naveed to thank for helping them through the round as Bolton piled on the pressure in the final twenty minutes.