A shop worker has been praised for his bravery after he faced down a customer who had a grenade and threatened to blow up the store.

Abdul Ibrahim, 61, has been sentenced to five years imprisonment at Newcastle Crown Court after the incident in a mobile phone shop in the west end of the city, Northumbria Police said.

Ibrahim is said to have argued with the owner of Mobile Connection after he visited the store on Westgate Road in March last year, in an attempt to sell some mobile phones.

But police said when the shop owner refused to buy them, Ibrahim left the store in a temper, only to return later that day carrying a grenade.

Prosecutors said he burst into the shop holding the explosive and shouted "Allahu Akbar", "Allah is great" and "No God except Allah", but police said the court accepted that Ibrahim was mentally unwell and that his actions were not religiously motivated.

Aser Kheder was looking after the shop at the time and immediately leapt into action after seeing the grenade.

Police said he clasped his hands on top of the explosive to prevent Ibrahim from removing the pin, before he managed to wrestle him to the ground.

Police arrived and established the grenade had been decommissioned and was not a viable explosive.

Ibrahim, of Deckham Terrace in Gateshead, was later charged with making threats to kill and making a hoax bomb threat.

Police said he admitted the offences on Monday and was jailed for five years.

During the sentencing hearing, police said the judge commended Mr Kheder for his "extraordinary bravery", and awarded him £300 for his actions.

On Tuesday, Chief Inspector Alan Pitchford said: "The behaviour of Abdul Ibrahim was completely reckless and left those inside the shop that afternoon fearing for their lives.

"I welcome the lengthy custodial sentence and I hope it sends a strong message to anyone who would ever think of doing something so stupid.

"But I also want to take this opportunity to praise the community who came together and supported each other while we responded to this hoax.

"I also want to say a special thank you to Aser Kheder, who was rightly commended by the judge for his bravery.

"In that moment he believed that Ibrahim was carrying a live explosive and he still put his life on the line to protect his community.

"He is a true community hero and we are incredibly proud of him. He deserves all the plaudits that have come his way."