A heartbroken mother from Bradford has told how her family’s trip to the seaside ended in tragedy when a Porsche travelling at an estimated 70mph crashed into the back of their car on the A64 near York.

Suha Seder, of Bowling, said at an inquest into the death of Ahmad Abdulsalam that he had been a “kind, helpful and considerate” son, who had been ‘desperate’ to go to the Yorkshire coast in August 2016.

“Up until that point, we were a beautiful, happy family,” she said in a statement read out to the hearing.

“Everyone was very excited. The weather was warm, sunny and dry.”

The inquest heard that the family’s Vauxhall Zafira stopped in the outside lane of the eastbound dual carriageway near the Grimston Bar roundabout because of a traffic jam stretching back from the Hopgrove roundabout.

A van and trailer in front of their car then rolled back into it, cracking the registration plate, and she and her husband had got out to talk to the van driver and obtain his details.

The traffic jam in front of them cleared and a Porsche then crashed into the back of the Zafira, causing massive damage.

Despite being badly injured she desperately tried to help her 11-year-old son.

“It was very difficult for me to see his body broken and dying in front of my eyes,” she said.

“I was thinking I should have been able to save him and from that day on until now I cannot move on.

“I think it is a nightmare that I will see every day and I will wake up and he will be here.

“Time is passing but I feel like I am stuck in that moment.

“His sounds, his photos, his voice all just left behind and I can’t think about our future without him.

“Ahmad was kind, helpful and considerate. I miss him so very much, more than words will ever describe.

“I do not think I can ever put into words what this accident has done to my family and I.

“He was a very happy boy. He had high hopes for the future and was about to start at high school.”

She said Ahmad’s brothers sometimes said they wanted to die to go to heaven to see him, which was ‘very painful’ for her to hear as a mother.

“They always ask why did he have to die? Why did this happen to us? When will Ahmad come back? Ask God to bring him back.”

The inquest was told that the Porsche driver, Patrick Veitch, 49, of Fulford, York, had been cleared at York Crown Court last year of causing the death of Ahmad by dangerous driving after the prosecution offered no evidence.

Mr Veitch, of Fulford, York, did not attend the inquest but said in a statement read out by the Coroner that he had no recollection of the crash or the moments prior to it.

He said he had been diagnosed as suffering from post traumatic amnesia and post traumatic stress disorder and had received counselling.

He said he had not been in a hurry on the day of the crash and was familiar with the route, he usually travelled at a sensible speed and did not drive recklessly.

Other drivers told how they had seen the Zafira stationary in front of them in the outside lane and had succeeded in braking and then pulling over into the inside lane to get safely past it.

One motorist said she was not sure she could have stopped in time had she been unable to pull into the inside lane.

The inquest heard that neither the Zafira not the van’s hazard warning lights were on and TC Terence Collins said experts had concluded that an accident involving such a car standing stationary in the outside lane had been ‘inevitable.’

The inquest was told that Ahmad, who was a pupil at Newby Primary School in West Bowling, suffered a cardiac arrest in the car and was taken to York Hospital, where CPR was attempted for 90 minutes but in vain.

Coroner Jon Heath said the cause of Ahmad’s death had been an aortic tear, and concluded he died as a result of a road traffic collision.