THE man who threw a milkshake over far-right extremist Tommy Robinson has said he has received threats since the incident.

Danyaal Mahmud, 23, from Blackburn, says he was approached by the former English Defence League leader, whose real name is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, on his way home after a work related meetingon Thursday.

Mr Mahmud says he felt intimidated and threatened by Mr Robinson and his entourage on his way home.

Mr Mahmud then threw a milkshake over Mr Robinson who was in Warrington, canvassing to become an Independent member of the European Parliament for the north west.

Mr Mahmud was then attacked and punched by Mr Robinson and his followers. The entire incident was captured on mobile phone footage.

Police intervened and Mr Mahmud was taken to the train station.

The hashtag #milkshake was trending on Twitter with the video viewed by millions on social media.

Asian Image:

He added he had been watchíng the protests earlier on the way to his work meeting.

But afterwards just wanted to get home.

Speaking today he said, “There have been a lot of people asking how I was last night and thank you to everyone for those comments.

“I have also got some abuse and threats from people. I do fear a little for my safety.

“I didn’t think there would be such a reaction to this.

“People who know me as a talkative kind of guy and I get on with everyone. I think I just felt a little annoyed that he kept talking to me.

“I didn’t mean to do anything to be honest it was just an instant reaction to the way he was talking to me and what others were shouting earlier."

Mr Mahmud said he visited Royal Blackburn Hospital in the evening for a check-up and had a few bruises to his head.

He added: “I’m not too bothered about that so much. His reaction was a bit shocking more than anything else.

“I thought I would be in trouble when I got home. I think my family were just happy that I got home safe.”

Cheshire Police has confirmed they are investigating a number of incidents in relation to the rally.

Chief Inspector Simon Meegan said: “We are aware there has been a lot of talk, videos and speculation about what happened but we need to hear from people who were there and witnessed what happened.

“In particular, we want to hear from anyone who was in the area at the time and recorded any of the incidents on their mobile phone.”