A NON-league football match was abandoned after a racial abuse incident.

Padiham FC were playing away to Congleton Town on Saturday afternoon when the referee was forced to bring the game to an end following an incident involving Padiham goalkeeper Tony Aghayere.

It is unknown who was responsible for the abuse which was directed at the former Burnley FC youth player, but it is understood police have been informed.

A spokesman for Padiham FC also said that several of their players’ wallets were emptied in the changing rooms while players were on the pitch.

Captain Ben Hoskin has spoken out about the incident, branding it ‘completely disgusting’.

On Twitter he said: “Sad day - game abandoned due to a certain section of fans being racist towards our young goalkeeper and money stolen out of away dressing room.”

The Lancashire side were losing 3-0 when the game was halted in the second half.

A spokesman for Padiham FC said: “Our players were removed from the pitch due to racial abuse aimed at our goalkeeper and several players’ wallets being emptied in the changing rooms during the game.

“The players and staff at Congleton FC have acted with class and we’ll act together to ensure this is eradicated from our game.”

Football fans from all over were quick to praise the way the situation was dealt with by staff, with one Twitter user saying: “I hope Aghayere is OK because no one should be put through that.

“Well done to the referee and both clubs.

“Hope the culprits are caught and banned from football grounds for a very long time.”

A Congleton FC fan said: “Hopefully Congleton can identify those responsible and make an example out of them.”

An official from the Cheshire-based club confirmed that the incident had been reported and said it would be taking the matter ‘very seriously’.

A spokesperson for the Hallmark Security League said: “The league is investigating the matter and will work with both clubs and relevant authorities.

“Abuse of any nature will not be tolerated.”