The family of a pensioner who was tortured and murdered in a botched robbery have struggled to deal with the "pure aggression and hate" of his attackers.

Thomas Jervis, 24, and Charles Mcauley, 20, were previously convicted after trial of murdering "loving" family man Ramniklal Jogiya on the grounds of joint enterprise and were both given life terms at Birmingham Crown Court.

Mr Jogiya had been bundled into a van while walking home on a cold night in January, before he was beaten for information and then dumped in a country lane near Stoughton, Leicestershire.

Jervis, of Enderby Road, Whetstone, Leicestershire, was sent back to the shop to open the safe while wearing a burkha disguise, but was defeated by a 12-hour time-lock.

Mcauley, of Gooding Avenue, Leicester, had denied having anything to do with the killing and tried to lay the blame at the door of another man during the trial.

Jervis must serve a minimum of 33 years in jail, while Mcauley was given custody for life, with a minimum term of 30 years.

Another man, Callan Reeve, 20, of Aylmer Road, Leicester, was cleared of murder but convicted of manslaughter, and handed a 16-year sentence.

Before sentencing, a victim impact statement was read by prosecutor James House QC on behalf of the Jogiya family.

In it they described how their "worst fears were realised" after racing to their missing grandfather's jewellery shop and checking its CCTV, and there to realise Mr Jogiya had been kidnapped.

The family were then left "completely numb" when the police informed them he had died after being beaten and later dumped in countryside in the middle of winter, and of wanting "desperately" to see his body in the mortuary.

Their statement said: "The sad reality is nothing could prepare us for when we saw his lifeless body all alone in the mortuary.

"He had suffered, as we could see from the terrible injuries to his face. Sorry Dad, I'm sorry I couldn't protect you."

The family said their father was denied his final wish - an open casket funeral, because of the time required investigating the circumstances of his death.

Their statement added: "It was too late for an open casket ceremony, although we understood, we were upset we could not perform the last rites and final journey, as he would have wanted and in the traditional way."

"Just thinking what he had to endure has haunted us during the days and sometimes - worse - during the nights," the family said.

The statement read: "He has been cruelly taken away from us while he was all alone and helpless."

It added: "This exposure to pure aggression and hate has changed forever how we live in our town, where we are part of the community.

"Our father did not deserve this to happen to him and we wouldn't wish it on anyone else.

"These people did it for money - money they did not get at the end.

"They will be sentenced, but it will not give us our Dad back."

Mr Jogiya had been due to celebrate his 49th wedding anniversary five days after his death, with a family celebration to mark the occasion the day beforehand.

The statement continued: "We were planning to go for a meal - instead we were left trying to get our heads around his death and planning his funeral."

Mr Jogiya's family described their father as "loving and caring" and the "foundation" of their family, as a grandfather, uncle and brother as well as a father-figure.

They described the trial in which family members had to give character evidence as "deeply disturbing" and being "horrified" at hearing how their elderly father was tortured by his killers.

The family said: "He had recently completed a computer course and now his future has been cruelly taken away."

Afterwards, speaking to ITV Central News, Mr Jogiya's sister Rupa Soni said: "They had no right to do it, nobody has got the right.

"Money, jewellery, whatever, it's nothing.

"He was such a nice person - he's going to be in our heart forever."