A SCHOOLGIRL found hanging in her locked bedroom had posted a social media message saying "death is near" just before she died, an inquest heard.

Saima Kaduji, a pupil at Bolton Muslim Girls School, died at Royal Bolton Hospital shortly after being discovered unresponsive at 11.30am at her family's home in Morrison Street, Great Lever, on February 28.

She had published a series of mixed positive and negative messages online when she should have been downstairs having breakfast with her family.

Coroner Alan Walsh told an inquest held at Bolton Coroner's Court the teenager's "intentions at the time are unclear".

He said: "This was totally out of character. I believe sadly Saima was mixed up in her mind."

Saima lived with mother Sana, father Mohamad and her three siblings in Great Lever.

Her parents told the inquest their eldest daughter was a "happy child" who did not divulge any problems or issues to them.

She had 99 per cent attendance at school and since a parents' evening at the end of last year her behaviour had picked up and she seemed more concentrated on her studies.

The family were looking forward to a trip to Pakistan in July to attend the wedding of one of Saima's uncles.

Like her siblings, Saima enjoyed use of a tablet computer at home and had two private and one public account on picture-sharing social media platform Instagram that used to communicate with friends.

Annette Patterson, deputy headteacher at Bolton Muslim Girls School, told the hearing: "There are some incidents in terms of relationship problems and difficulties but these go back to April 2015. There was an issue with regards to social media exchanges. The school dealt with that and there was a blocking of social media accounts between the two."

Ms Patterson confirmed there were no further incidents concerning Saima.

The inquest heard the police investigation found a handwriting piece of paper in Saima's school bag on which was a sticky note. Both contained random words or phrases including 'die' and 'you deserve to die' but Mr Walsh said: "The phrases used on the note would not indicate directly or indirectly a self-harm message."

He said there had been "speculation" after her death she had been bullied but no hard evidence to back it up had emerged and she had not reported any concerns to family members, her school or her mosque.

Detective Inspector Daniel Brophy told the inquest Saima changed her profile message to 'Give up' on February 19.

The evening before she died, after enjoying a family gathering at home, she posted a message referring to having a useless life.

She later wrote: 'Once you have gone there is nothing to worry about and I will be punished for the bad deeds I have done'.

She posted a separate 'death is near' message but her penultimate message was 'Listen I just want to spend three weeks off school with you and the others OK' with a smiley face icon.'

Her very last message made reference to wanting to be on her own for a few days with a casual 'bye' at the end.

Mr Walsh said: "It's not 'this is the end'. From witnesses, from the documentary evidence and her messages her intentions are just not clear or can't be fathomed."

There was no evidence she had conducted any internet research on suicide or understood the consequences what she did after latching shut the door of the bedroom she shared with her two sisters.

Mr Walsh recorded a narrative verdict.