NEIGHBOURS of an elderly woman killed by a police motorbike this morning have paid tribute to her.

The woman, in her late 70s, was killed after she was hit by a police motorbike which was accompanying a convoy of 110 taxis taking underprivileged children on a day trip to Southend.

The accident happened at around 10.30am this morning (Wednesday) in Eastern Avenue between the Gants Hill roundabout and Beehive Lane.

The London Air Ambulance was on the scene at around 10.45am, but the woman, of Eastern Avenue, was pronounced dead at the scene.

A City of London Police motorcyclist was taken to the Royal London Hospital with chest and arm injuries, he is currently in a serious but stable condition.

The woman, known by her neighbours as 'Auntie', was said to have crossed the road on a green light, but was struck down by the lead police motorbike on her way to a Sikh temple in the High Road.

Neighbour Kaz Hursit, 44, described hearing a loud bang as he watched the convoy approach.

He said: "I saw her walk out of her house and try to cross the road. The motorcyclist hit her and was then flung off the bike and I saw him roll around on the floor. He looked in a bad way.

"Auntie would always stop and say hello. She was always so friendly.

"I have lived here for 35 years and must have seen over 200 accidents on that junction.

"This one was just an unforeseen tragic accident, but I would sign a petition to get speed cameras down this stretch of the road."

Rosie Patel from Risha's Newsagents in Beehive Lane described the elderly woman as quiet, but "very lovely".

"She used to come in here with her grand-daughter several times a week.

"I don't know how her family will have taken the news, but it is very emotional for me. She will be missed."

The motorcycle was accompanying a convoy of drivers from the London Taxi Drivers' Fund for Underprivileged Children (LTFUC).

Cabbie Raymond Levy, 64, was in the convoy which was taking 225 children to Southend from Victoria Park in Hackney.

He said: "It was shocking, but thankfully no children were injured.

"It was a police bike accompanying the convoy which was involved.

"We were stuck for around 45 minutes, but we were eventually cleared to carry on to Southend."

The road reopened at 4.15pm and an investigation into the accident is ongoing.

Click here to follow the Wanstead and Woodford Guardian on Twitter

Click here to follow the Wanstead and Woodford Guardian on Facebook