Pair remanded in custody

Bilal Khizar who died

Bilal Khizar who died

First published in North of England news by , T&A Reporter

A 21-year-old woman has pleaded guilty to perverting the course of justice after a car struck and killed Bradford schoolboy Bilal Khizar.

Sara Hughes was remanded back into custody after admitting the offence at Bradford Crown Court.

Hughes made her first appearance at the Crown Court yesterday with co-accused Zain Khan, 21.

Khan is charged with causing death by dangerous driving, perverting the course of justice and other motoring offences, in connection with the accident, near Asda in Rooley Lane, Bierley, Bradford, on Saturday, October 6.

Popular Bradford Academy pupil Bilal, 12, was crossing the road with his scooter when he was in collision with a red Seat Ibiza at 7pm. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Prosecutor Jonathan Sharp said the case was sent to the Crown Court by a District Judge at Bradford and Keighley Magistrates Court last Wednesday.

Mr Sharp told the packed courtroom that the defendants, who are both from Halifax, were remanded in custody, in part for their own protection.

He asked that a court ruling banning publication of their full addresses remain in place.

Judge Peter Benson made an order under the Contempt of Court Act.

“Because of the strength of feeling that this case has aroused in the local press, that would be a necessary precaution,” he said.

Hughes pleaded guilty to doing acts tending and intended to pervert the course of public justice, between October 5 and 9, 2012, by falsely representing that a Seat motor vehicle had been stolen prior to it colliding with Bilal Khizar and that she was not present in the motor vehicle when the collision took place.

Her barrister, Jeremy Hill-Baker, said the probation service would be preparing a report on Hughes, the mother of a young daughter, before she is sentenced.

Jason Pitter, Khan’s barrister, said Robert Smith QC was being instructed to represent him at his trial. Khan did not enter pleas to the allegations.

A provisional trial date was set for February 4. Mr Pitter said the hearing would last five days.

Khan was remanded back into custody.

Both defendants will be back in court on December 19 when the case is listed for mention.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree