A 28-year-old man who struck a barbecue-goer on the head with a hammer in a gang attack in front of his family has been jailed for seven years.
Wajid Hussain, of Hallows Road, Keighley , “brought the boys down” with weapons after a dispute at the party in the town’s Worth Avenue on August 27 last year.
Men armed with hammers and a knuckleduster set about Jerome Banks in the street, wounding him to the head and causing numerous cuts to his body.
Hussain was yesterday FRI convicted by a jury at Bradford Crown Court of causing Mr Banks, 37, grievous bodily harm with intent.
He was said to have weilded a hammer as Mr Banks was struck, knocked down and kicked by at least three assailants.
The trial judge, Recorder Paul Isaacs, told Hussain: “You did not have the courage to admit your guilt.”
Fortunately, Mr Banks’ injuries had not been as serious as those intended by Hussain and others.
“Had he been killed, you would have been facing, and have been convicted of, murder,” Recorder Isaacs said.
During the trial, prosecutor Andrew Stranex said there was a dispute at the barbecue about children playing in the street.
It all appeared to have been settled amicably but Hussain decided to “bring the boys down” and Mr Banks was set upon by a gang as he left the party with his family.
He was treated in Airedale Hospital for his injuries.
Hussain was arrested on September 9 after handing himself in to the police.
He maintained his innocence, saying he was on his own in his parents’ house at the time of the attack.
His barrister, Stephen Wood, said Hussain had no previous convictions for violence.
He had kept out of trouble altogether since 2007.