Fun fair organisers to take tickets issued for rain-cancelled Mela

First published in News

The organisers of a funfair which was due to be part of the Bradford Mela at the weekend have pledged to honour the thousands of tickets and vouchers handed out to local children at their next fair in Wibsey.

W Marshalls Amusements had already set up its rides at Peel Park ahead of the Mela on Saturday, only to find out on Friday that the whole event had been cancelled due to the heavily water-logged ground. Bradford Council feared the huge infrastructure of the Mela, which includes stages, marquees and the fairground rides would be compromised by the soft and shifting ground. There were also concerns that attempts to use the park would severely damage the ground, including football pitches which are used by the community, and that this would take several seasons to repair.

Darren Church of W Marshalls said that in the run up to the Mela they had distributed thousands of tickets for free rides and flyers offering cut price rides for use at the event only.

But in order to avoid disappointment, they have taken the unprecedented step of making all these tickets valid at their annual Wibsey Summer Fun Fair which begins on Friday.

Mr Church said: “We like everyone were really disappointed the Mela did not go ahead, however we fully understand and support Bradford Council in the decision.

“We really felt bad for the hundreds of families who we had given tickets to inviting them to the fair, and having supported us we felt we should still give them an opportunity to use their tickets.

“Wibsey is not a million miles away from Peel Park and we have brought some of the fantastic rides which were due to appear at the Mela up to Fair Road.

“Anyone who brings along the tickets can use them anytime.”

The fair is already set up at Fair Road after organisers had to wait to leave Peel Park due to the water-logged ground. It will open at Wibsey from Friday, June 15, to Saturday, June 23, with the exception of Sunday.

The Council, which organises the annual Mela, took the decision to cancel the event as they were not prepared to put people’s safety at risk.

The authority is currently assessing the costs of the event, speaking to insurers, acts and suppliers.

e-mail:jo.winrow @telegraphandargus.co.uk

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree